The shape and size of your teeth may not be uniform or proportional, which can make you reluctant to smile. However, there is a procedure called enameloplasty or tooth contouring (or tooth reshaping)
that can help. It is designed to fix minor imperfections and misshapen teeth. At Celebrity Dental in Franklin Square, NY, Dr. Steven Novick specializes in advanced cosmetic dental procedures that can help you achieve a beautiful smile, such as teeth contouring. Contact the office at (516) 481-1446 to set up an appointment.
What does the procedure entail and how can it help? Here are 5 things to know about tooth contouring.
1. How Tooth Contouring Works
During tooth contouring, the dentist will use drills and lasers to remove some of your enamel until your teeth are the desired size, shape and length. After the contouring is complete, your teeth will be polished for a natural-looking shine.
2. Benefits of Tooth Contouring
Tooth contouring is a less invasive cosmetic dental procedure that still produces “beautiful” results. It is also one of the fastest ways to reshape your teeth.
The benefits of tooth contouring include:
- Only requires one appointment
- Your teeth can be reshaped in an hour or less
- There are no nerves in the enamel so you should not experience any pain
- It is permanent and you should not need any other procedures
3. Ways Tooth Contouring Can Help
Tooth contouring is only designed to fix minor cosmetic issues with your teeth, including slightly misshapen or overly long teeth. Your enamel is only 2.28mm thick and some needs to be left in order to ensure your teeth remain healthy and stable for a long time, and to protect your overall dental health.
Tooth contouring is good for addressing:
- Minor chips along the edge of the teeth
- Minor crowding or positioning problems
4. Keeping Healthy Teeth After Contouring
The main concern with tooth recontouring is that it will leave your teeth slightly thinner, which can make you more sensitive to hot and cold sensations. You also need to protect your teeth against abrasive substances and remember to brush gently so you don’t damage the remaining enamel.
Tips for keeping healthy teeth after contouring:
- Avoid sugar-filled drinks or foods.
- Consider adding extra calcium to your diet or take a supplement. (Consult your doctor first, of course!)
- Brush your teeth gently.
- Use non-abrasive toothpaste. (Ask your dentist for a recommendation.)
- Avoid grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw.
- Maintain good dental hygiene and get regular dental checkups.
5. Who is a Good Candidate for Tooth Contouring?
First, your teeth must be healthy overall. Your enamel needs to be thick enough to remain strong even after some of it is removed. If your teeth are too thin, the procedure could get too close to the interior pulp and the nerves, causing permanent damage. Plus, if you already have sensitivity to cold and hot temperatures, contouring could make the problem worse.
If you have more serious issues such as cracked, damaged, decayed, discolored or misaligned teeth, you may need more comprehensive cosmetic procedures such as Invisalign®, veneers, dental bonding or teeth whitening.
Let Celebrity Dental Give You a Perfect Smile
If you want to correct minor imperfections with tooth contouring, Dr. Steven Novick and Celebrity Dental in Franklin Square, NYcan help you obtain a smile that will make you shine. Contact us today or call (516) 481-1446 to schedule an appointment.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT